Camping is one of the most popular hobbies and medium of recreation nowadays. Now, sleeping in a tent in the midst of an unknown place sometimes can be a real challenge. Where most people make their first mistake while camping is the way they sleep in a tent. You can’t just go inside a tent and sleep however you like.
If you do so, that would possibly make your back hurt and the sleep won’t be pleasant either! So, in order to get a good sleep in a tent without making your back hurt, I’m here to help you out with the most comfortable ways to sleep in a tent.
While being a popular choice of recreation, certain things should be kept in check before you go out camping. The first step toward comfortable camping is making sure you get a good and comfortable sleep while out camping. Why?
Well, it’s not easy sleeping comfortably in a tent out in the wild with chances of facing strong weather and wild animals. Keeping all that in mind, I’ll be giving you some tips about the most comfortable way to sleep in a tent and help you to camp in comfort.
The most comfortable way to sleep in a tent is by making sure these steps are taken:
- The place where you camp and set up your tent
- Choosing a suitable tent
- Bringing accessories to help you get a good sleep in a tent
- Make sure to bring medications, snacks, and beverages in case you get hungry during the night and for emergency situations
- Eating healthy and staying hydrated
Table of Contents
12 most comfortable way to sleep in a tent
1. Select a suitable camping site
The first condition for sleeping comfortably in a tent is to set up the tent in a proper place. The first priority is to get a suitable camping site to get a good sleep in a tent. How? Well, if you’re going camping on hills or similar places, you will most likely be unable to find flat or even ground. Setting up your tent on uneven ground can be real trouble for you to camp in comfort.
You are most likely to slide off your sleeping pad if you are sleeping on uneven ground and it can be dangerous as well. Now, that wouldn’t make a good sleep, would it? So, find the flat ground and set up your camp there. If you are going camping on a hill, it won’t be easy to find flat ground, so find something closest to flat ground and just to be safe, use support underneath your sleeping pad to make it as flat as possible. That way, you will be able to sleep comfortably in a tent.
2. Choosing a comfortable tent
Now, most people won’t count this as a priority but it actually is. Getting a suitable tent is also a requirement for comfortable camping. Do you want to camp in comfort and want the most comfortable way to sleep in a tent? Get yourself a proper tent first! When choosing a tent, you have to look out for some specific features.
- The first, one being the space. You’ll have to get a tent with just enough space to fit you and other tent mates, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and various accessories that you bring with you while camping. If the space is not adequate enough, you are most likely to be stuffed inside the tent and it will be a mess. Certainly not the best way to sleep in a tent.
- Second, look out for rain flies. Why is that? In case of rain, a rain fly will help keep the water out. Who likes water pouring inside the tent while camping? Apparently no one! Make sure your tent comes with a rain fly and if not, buy it separately just to be on the safe side.
- Third, make sure your tent has double-layered walls. Single-layered walls are not a great choice and those make breathing difficult inside the tent. Also, double-layered walls mean that the light will also be blocked to a certain point. That way, you can get a good sleep in a tent if there’s no light to bother you. Fourth, make sure your tent has a proper ventilation system. Otherwise, it will be hotter inside the tent and breathing will be difficult too.
3. Bring your sleeping accessories
Who would go camping without sleeping accessories and expect to have a good sleep? You better bring your sleeping bag, sleeping pads, and pillows to make sure you get the most comfortable sleep. The best way to sleep in a tent is to sleep on a sleeping pad.
Most people are not used to sleeping on the ground and it certainly is not very pleasant. Bringing your sleeping bag and sleeping pad would help a lot with comfortable camping and sleeping comfortably in a tent.
Make sure to put your sleeping pad on the ground and put the sleeping bag on the sleeping pad. A sleeping pad will provide cushioning and elevation from the ground. And as for the pillow, most of us are not comfortable sleeping without a pillow.
Not to mention, sleeping without a pillow is most likely to hurt your neck too. Make sure to bring an extra blanket/quilt if you are going to camp in cold weather. Keeping an extra blanket won’t be any harm. In case of a temperature drop, that extra blanket will be a lifesaver.
4. Keep warm beverages, snacks, and important stuff by your side
While camping, keep essentials by your side. For example, keep some snacks, warm beverages, water, a flashlight, your cellphone, and your essential medications. These are for emergency situations. How does this help with your sleep though?
In case of emergencies or you just get hungry in the middle of the night, you won’t have to unzip your sleeping bag, get out of it, and walk some steps just to get some water or a pack of snacks.
You can just stay as you are and get your things if they are by your side and go back to sleep quickly.
5. Eat healthy food and stay hydrated
Don’t forget to eat properly and drink as much water as you can to be hydrated. Keeping yourself from that required nutrition or water won’t do any good and besides, it harms your sleep too.
So, eat to your heart’s content and drink water. Do not overeat and obviously, do not forget to eat healthy food, not just any food.
You don’t want to use the toilet 10 times a day while camping. Also, use the toilet a few times before bed so the chances of getting up in the middle of the night just to use the toilet remain low.
These are the major facts you should remember if you want comfortable camping and to ensure sleeping comfortably in a tent.
6. Bring earplugs and an eye mask
What could be worse than a snoring tent mate, animal noise, and mosquito buzzing while you try to get asleep? Unless you can sleep your way through the night enduring all that, I would suggest you bring a pair of earplugs to get you through all of that. A pair of earplugs would make a big difference by keeping out all the noise and ensuring you get a good sleep.
You can level up your camping game by getting an eye mask in case of camping in a particularly sunny environment or a place that tends to get a lot of light. Trust me, a pair of earplugs and an eye mask are just the things you need for a comfortable camping trip
7. Bring extra blankets or quilts
It can always get chilly outside. The basic rule of camping is to bring an extra blanket or quilt. If there is a sudden fall in temperature, that extra blanket will be your lifesaver. Want to camp in comfort? Bring that extra blanket. You never know when you are going to need it.
8. Bring a fan or heater according to the weather
It can always get particularly hot or chilly outside. You can’t let that ruin your camping. Bring a fan or heater according to your camping site’s weather. That way, you don’t have to sleep your way through the night in a particularly hot or cold temperature giving you an uncomfortable feeling.
9. Keep necessary stuff close by
There are a few essential things to keep close to while sleeping in a tent. You should keep these things close in case of need or an emergency.
Here’s a list of essential stuff:
- First aid kit
- Boiled water/beverages
- Hand gloves
- Cell phone
- Water bottle
10. Avoid Overdressing
The most comfortable way to sleep in a tent is to be properly dressed but not overdo it. Wear comfortable clothes. Wear clothes just enough to keep you warm. Excessive clothing will only make you feel stuffy, and hot and turn out to be an unpleasant experience overall.
11. Tire yourself during the day
Make yourself work and sweat during the day. If you can get yourself tired, that will also help you get a good sleep. Keep that in mind to not overdo it, or your body may get sore because of all the extra work you put yourself through.
12. Use the loo before going to bed
What could be worse than getting up several times to answer nature’s call while sleeping in a tent?
You can’t necessarily call it a good experience having to go out in the cold at the night to answer nature’s call. To avoid that, use the toilet a few times before going to bed. It doesn’t necessarily stop you from getting out of bed again, but the chances will surely below.
There it is! All is set for you. I hope by following these tips you will get a proper camping experience without any possible unpleasant incident. You should always plan ahead. A good plan is also necessary for a good camping experience.
With these little tips, I tried to cover up pretty much everything that you must follow to get a good camping experience as well as a better way to sleep in a tent.
Want to know more about how to manage the most comfortable way to sleep in a tent?
Apart from the major facts that you should remember, there are a few more other things to keep in mind.
Such as earplugs and eye masks. Why do you need them? Have you ever considered the mosquito buzzing, the weird animal noises in the wild, or simply your tent mates snoring all night long? Not the best way to sleep in a tent, is it? To prevent that and make sure you get a good sleep in a tent, remember to bring earplugs. It will block out most of the annoying noises and help you sleep.
- As for the eye mask, it is just for blocking out the light so your sleep is not disturbed. This does have some drawbacks though. If you are not used to putting eye masks and earplugs on, it will feel a bit weird. Don’t forget to put them off once you wake up.
- Another thing to remember is to bring a heater or a fan, depending on where you are going camping. For colder weather, a heater is a way to go. In case of the temperature drops down to a few degrees, bringing a heater would be a wise decision. It will provide you with the extra warmth you will need and keep the tent warm inside.
- If you go camping in summer, a fan will keep it cool inside the tent. Trust me, no one wants to keep sweating inside the tent. Besides, that won’t be a suitable environment to get good sleep either.
- Bring your hand gloves and socks too in case of cold weather. These are for extra warmth. You never know how cold it can get out in the wild. So better be on the safe side. Rather bring an extra pair of gloves and socks than be shivering the whole night due to the cold.
- Make sure to have all the medications ( if you are on any) and keep them with you. You don’t want to get sick and you don’t want your sleep to be ruined either.
- Let me also remind you of bugs. Don’t forget to bring bug sprays with you if you don’t want mosquitos buzzing around you or being bitten by bugs.
There it is! All is set for you. I hope by following these tips you will get a proper camping experience without any possible unpleasant incident. You should always plan ahead. A good plan is also necessary for a good camping experience. With these little tips, I tried to cover up pretty much everything that you must follow to get a good camping experience as well as a better way to sleep in a tent.
Frequently Asked Questions:
These are pretty much everything that one needs to know about the most comfortable way to sleep in a tent. In this article I tried to explain the best way to sleep in a tent for all the recreational campers out there. No one wants to face inconveniences while camping. Everyone wants the best experience, so I tried to give you little pieces of advice that might just be the perfect guideline for a comfortable camping trip.